‘Real Texas Chili’
3 lbs beef chuck
2 Tbs oil
2-3 cloves garlic
4-6 Tbs chili power
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp ground onion
3 Tbs flour
2 cans beef broth
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
8 oz sour cream
1 Wooden Spoon
· Cut meat into bite size cubes. (1/2 – ¾ inch cubes is what we like.)
· Brown meat in large pot to which you have added the oil.
· Combine all spices into a small bowl.
· Add them to the meat and cook for 2 or 3 minutes
· Add beef broth and simmer until meat is tender (an hour or so – maybe more – not all day.) Resulting consistency should be like heavy gravy with chunks of meat - Yum!
· The above mixture should be stirred with a wooden spoon (I always do and I don't mess with success - neither should you.)
· Cook your rice according to instructions on box.
· Cut limes into slices
Serve chili in bowls over rice – should be more rice than chili. Add a dollop of sour cream on top and squeeze a lime wedge over the contents.
This will easily feed 4 - maybe with leftovers if you're lucky.
Tandy & John Graham
PS. This dish is something that we really like to fix a day or so before we serve it and let it season a little. The only problem is that you have to make sure that you don’t eat too much of it before the appointed time.